Food Is Medicine: Turmeric!
A teaspoon a day keeps cancer and dementia away!
As we age, it seems that Alzheimer’s disease and/or cancer is knocking at our door. U.S. statistics show a 1 in 2 risk of cancer for men and 1 in 3 for women with the rate of dying from Alzheimer’s or dementia related disease at 1 in 3. We now know via epigenetics that these statistics are more related to our environment, which includes the food we eat, than our genes.
Food is medicine and it has become very clear that turmeric, even a teaspoon a day, every day, especially if used with a quality oil (like coconut or ghee) and black pepper is very healthful. There have been over 5600 peer reviewed and bio-medical studies about turmeric and its polyphenol curcumin. It is the most studied botanical and known to decrease the incidence of many different types of cancer, prevent Alzheimer’s disease, and decrease dementia symptoms. It also functions as a very potent anti-inflammatory, protects from heavy metal toxicity, open arteries and promotes blood flow to the brain and so much more.
Support your best health by adding turmeric to your diet everyday. Here are a few ideas:
1. Buy the fresh root at your local co-op or grocery store and grate it into stir fries with black pepper.
2. Grate the fresh root into salsas, green or fruit salads or add it on top of cooked grains.
3. Use grated fresh turmeric, or the powder, to make a tea, add coconut oil, ginger, a little black pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Drink hot or cold. (And local honey if you need a sweetener.)
4. Heat the powder in oil (our favorite is coconut) add black pepper and other spices for bases for soups or stir fries.
5. I have even seen a You Tube video with instructions for making toothpaste!
To Your Health!